A central mission of GPSC is to serve as a voice and advocate of the Graduate and Professional student community. This goal is accomplished through our work on committees. GPSC places representatives from the graduate and professional student body onto internal and external committees in order to take part in important discussions with University faculty and administration. Committee representatives serve on GPSC committees and task forces in order to share discussions had in committees and to work toward completion of action plans addressing areas of need within the graduate and professional community.
Internal committees support the functions of the Council and are filled by General Assembly representatives. These committees are seated in August by the Director of University Affairs.
Elections: Late spring
The GPSC Executive Committee consists of 13 elected officers that oversee the operations of the Council.
Chairs are elected in late spring, the committee is open year-round
The Duke University Basketball Committee organizes and runs Duke Basketball Campout (known as Campout), which is both an event and a process held each fall for distributing season tickets to Duke Men’s Basketball home games. The Committee also maintains a staff of graduate student ushers who help get as many graduate students into the games as possible. All Duke Graduate and Professional students are welcome to join the Committee, and we are always looking for new volunteers and ideas for Campout.
Young Trustees Screening Committee
Elections: Early fall
The Young Trustee Screening Committee oversees the screening process for the Council’s nomination for Young Trustee. The committee develops the application, screens the candidates, and presents finalists to the Assembly. The Young Trustee Screening Committee is elected yearly by the General Assembly. The Assembly elects one Chair and six other members of the Young Trustee Screening Committee when this committee is needed. Members of the screening committee are ineligible to run for Young Trustee. any member that has a perceived conflict of interest with Young Trustee candidates must excuse herself from the committee. All currently enrolled graduate and professional students are eligible to run for the members or the Chair of this committee.
Select Task Forces
Select Task Forces are convened by the General Assembly to investigate or develop solutions to a particular issue that the Assembly or President has identified, and which have specified terms of authority and a specific time course for the committee to do its work.
Membership to Select Task Forces is open. If you are interested in serving, please contact the GPSC President.
The special committees outlined below are elected by the General Assembly.
- Basketball Committee
- GPSC Academic Programming Committee
- GPSC Advocacy Committee
- GPSC Alumni Engagement Committee
- GPSC Communications Committee
- GPSC Community Outreach Committee
- GPSC Diversity Committee
- GPSC Emergency Travel Fund Committee
- GPSC Finance Committee
- GPSC Judicial Committee
- GPSC Operations Committee
- GPSC Student Life Committee
All Duke graduate and professional students may serve on External Committees. These committees are seated in August by the Director of University Affairs. The BOT Standing Committees Representatives outlined below are elected by the General Assembly.
Board of Trustees Standing Committee Representatives
The General Assembly elects 10 students to sit on 6 standing committees of the Duke University Board of Trustees (BOT). Any graduate or professional student can run for a position on the standing committee. The BOT meets 4 times are year, and the student representatives who attend these meetings contribute the graduate and professional student perspective to the highest governing body at Duke.Contact the GPSC Director of University Affairs with questions.
Any graduate or professional student may join an external seated committee. Contact the Director of University Affairs about joining one of these external committees.
- Academic Council
- Academic Programs Committee
- Advisory Committee on Investment Responsibility
- Athletic Council
- Authorship Dispute Board
- Bass Connections Advisory Council
- Campus Sustainability Committee
- Committee on Facilities and Environment
- Community Pantry Operations Committee
- Council for the Art Planning
- Duke Forest Committee
- Duke Police Advisory Committee
- Duke University Alumni Board
- Duke University Union Board
- DUU Partnership Committee
- Executive Committee of the Graduate Faculty
- Global Priorities Committee
- GPSC Community Pantry Committee
- Harassment Grievance Board
- Information Technology Advisory Council
- International House Liaison
- LDOC Committee
- Liaison to Duke Student Government Fix My Campus
- Library Council
- President’s Advisory Committee on Institutional History
- President’s Art Advisory Council
- President’s Council on Black Affairs
- REC and PE leadership council
- Recreation Facilities Liaison/Recreation Fee Committee
- Sexual Misconduct Task Force
- Student Health Advisory Committee
- Transportation Advisory Committee
- University Judicial Board
- University Priorities Committee
- University Schedule Committee
Join a Committee
Committee appointments are performed at the start of each academic year for the duration of that academic year. The applications and deadlines are announced early each fall semester.